THIS BLOG HAS MOVED UP IN THE WORLD

Check out our new content at: http://ynteonline.com

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Can I get that in Chinese?


So this week and next week, I am on phones duty at work, as well as performing odd jobs and moving furniture in and out of rooms and other things that the higher-ups don't want to do and delegated to us, as per usual.

Anyway, the phones area is in the helpdesk, where I normally work. But I wasn't doing helpdesk duties; instead, I overheard a wonderful customer come in.

"Can I get windows?" Simple enough. "Can I get it in Chinese?" Sure, we have a Chinese ISO for Windows 7. Yet, when the techs out there were trying to explain it to him, it was as if he didn't fully get what they were getting at.... every minute he would ask "Can I get it in Chinese? Will my keyboard work with that?" And other such things.

For an hour.

My coworker and I started off laughing at it, but about 20 minutes in we started feeling pity for the techs out front. They then proceeded to try to hide back where we were sitting, as it was a truly nerve-wracking experience. I feel their pain. It's almost like that time where I had the Indian lady having trouble installing the (obviously illegitimate) Office 2005 disk that was, as she said, "From my home country." It was actually office 2000, with a crack and the original torrent info. Trying to explain something like this to a customer can be... excruciatingly painful. After about the 50th "Can I get it in Chinese?" question, I think a little part of my coworkers died inside.

This one is destined to live up to "You Need to Eat," "adsjfhpiouczvn;alerth," and, "But will it run Crysis?"

No comments: